Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Saurus Siblings

I couldn't get a single bird photo today. Some heavy dust clouds rolled into Phoenix and blocked out the sun around 5:00 pm--I guess that's our version of a rainy day.
It seems like an appropriate time to post some miscellaneous pictures of cold-blooded critters one might also find scurrying around the Sonoran Desert.

These Chuckwallas can easily span 14 inches in length. While they are not threatening to people, they are one of the upper echelon predators out here, at least as far as lizards go. Their latin name is Sauromalus Obesus, which seems to mean something like 'mean fat lizard'. I think that sums it up pretty well.


With no size to his advantage, this Ornate Tree Lizard relies on quickness and camouflage to win meals and escape predators. I don't know this scientific name, perhaps something like, "slendicus blendicus"


4 comments:

  1. Those Chuckwallas are big guys! The Ornate Tree Lizards I remember from when I lived in AZ, the scientific name is Urosaurus ornatus, I wonder what Uro means. Neat post laurence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool Mia thanks! I think Uro has something to do with fire/burning, but that doesn't seem to have a direct application to the lizard, apart maybe from its molten rock type coloration?

      Delete
  2. That's okay....sometimes there are other things beyond birds. Love the Chuckwalla. So question for you as things are getting warmer here....how do you bird and keep your eyes open for rattlesnakes? This is the first time I've started birding during this time of year. Have you had any close calls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting question Chris. I guess I haven't thought about it much, in part because I've lived in Arizona for 19 years now and have never actually seen a rattlesnake in the wild. I was a very reptile-centri kid, so I guess I've had the habit for a long time of alternating sight between ground and trees while exploring, but ultimately I guess it's just up to luck.

      I've found lots of Garter snakes and king snakes, but never anything poisonous.
      Do you run into a lot of snakes in the tucson area?

      Delete