Friday, May 25, 2012

Burrower's Row

The Phoenix Metropolitan area is a curious concoction. Phoenix itself is a large city, both in terms of area and population. Surrounding the state capital are ten more small cities: Mesa, Glendale, Scottsdale, Tempe, Avondale, Goodyear, Sun City, Gilbert, Surprise, and Peoria. Stretching out from these locales, neighborhoods and master-planned communities seem to stretch on in all directions. One of my favorite birding sites, the Tres Rios Wetlands, sits near the border between west Phoenix and Avondale. While driving to Tres Rios, you'll pass through the cookie-cutter houses of the master-planned communities, neighborhoods where the pursuit of maximized square-footage was once the highest good (priorities and fashions have since changed). You'll also pass through lots of open, odiferous farmland. If you turn and head west just before you reach the Tres Rios site, and follow a dirt road along the farmland canal, you'll find another little planned community. Between the northern borders of the Tres Rios preserve and Farmington Glen sits Burrower's Row.

There are no signs announcing that, "You have now entered Burrower's Row," but there are still markers, of sorts, so you know when you're in the right spot:


Despite the somewhat slovenly appearance of this particular Owl, the residents of Burrower's Row are a very strict bunch. There is always a sentinel at the eastern-most point of entry, perched high on the telephone lines and supervising the little town's security.


The houses (burrows) are arranged in neat rows along the farmland. At the moment, there appears to be no more than 2 Owls living in each Burrow, though there are at least 4 different pairs of Owls. They have a strict home-owner's association, and they keep their domiciles very tidy. It's a pretty homogenous group. Crime rates and taxes are all very low, but sometimes they react to outsiders with astonishment and suspicion, even from afar.


In the morning and during the day, the residents of Burrower's Row like to stay down in the fields, away from the elevated dirt road and its dusty heat. During the evening, the descending sun holds everything in a warm embrace, saying goodbye with its last rays of yellow light, and promising to rise again soon. The Owls like to perch along the frontage road during this time. They preen, gossip, and replay the day in their heads--much like the rest of us. It is best to visit Burrower's Row during these quiet, well-lit moments.


The owl shown below may well be the sheriff of Burrower's Row. While all the other Burrowers were enjoying the fading light, he seemed determined to maintain his stern and serious face. I would vote to re-elect this Owl for sheriff if it were up to me, but alas I wouldn't even qualify for citizenship in Burrower's Row (which is probably a good thing for all parties involved).


These next three pictures were taken by Maria, and the last one is my favorite. Burrowing Owls are very expressive and, as you have previously endured, I like to personify and fit captions to every Burrowing Owl photo I see.

:: :sniff: :: "Hmm, what's that smell?"


"Drat! I knew I stepped in something..."


For this third and last photo, I couldn't settle on a caption. I'd like to leave this last photo open to suggestions. Is the Owl solemnly swearing revenge? Is it doing some sort of fist pump celebration? Is it seeing if it's possible to walk with one's eyes closed? You tell me, and try to stop by and visit the wonderful residents of Burrower's Run some time soon.

22 comments:

  1. What a great & funny post Laurence! I'd love to take a stroll down Burrower's Row, the residents are quite charming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mia. A lot of the other pre-fabricated communities are struggling now, but these Owls seem to be doing just fine, if you're ever in the neighborhood.

      Delete
  2. Ha, this is an awesome post! The last photo looks to me like a little old man saying "we'll get him next..time..." as he falls asleep standing up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing photos of your good friends, their community and your great sense of humor.

    Barbara Lewis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting Barbara. It's great to share.

      Delete
  4. Burrowing Owls are at the top of my most wanted list, so I have enjoyed viewing them vicariousness through your post. Your photos are excellent and, of course, your story is hilarious! As for the last photo, I can hear the owl cackling in his best wicked witch voice "I'll get you my pretty and your little camera too".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I love it Tammy.

      Have you been watching the Wizard of Oz lately?

      If you ever end up in Phoenix, now you know to check Burrower's Row : )
      I hope you find some Burrowing Owls soon.

      Delete
  5. You really have a knack for writing and expessing a storyline to these marvelous little Owls. Very enjoyable reading and ♥'ed the photos and captions! Maria did well also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon. I hope you stop by Burrower's Row next time you're out at Tres Rios.

      Delete
    2. As a matter of fact, I paid a visit early this morning and yes, the sentinel was watching over it all from the east end. And I guess one of the families allowed one of their children to come out to survey the surroundings today. The scowl on its face implied it was not impressed. Will have to get a post together to add on to your impressive post. Thanks for the location!

      Delete
    3. Wow Gordon! I thought I saw a chick a while back but wasn't sure. I'm glad you found the location though. My plan is to spend a little time there with each visit to Tres Rios and hopefully observe and photograph some interesting behavior.

      I'm looking forward to your photos.

      Delete
  6. No crime yet, huh? Wait until the sheriff loses his legal battle to keep the Black-footed Ferrets out of the community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, there are many potential threats materializing in the rural mist surrounding Burrower's Row. The sheriff will have his work cut out for him, but at least the civilians themselves are well behaved.

      I've never seen a ferret in Arizona. I guess the Owls wouldn't appreciate it, but I wouldn't mind a quick peak.

      Delete
  7. Awesome pictures! That last picture is definitely a great one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moe. Given the right mood, Burrowing Owls can make it pretty easy for ya.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful wonderful wonderful!!!! I love all the pics. I find owls to be very expressive and they make me laugh at times. I believe the owl is the last pic is exhausted from the photo shoots:) Eventually I'll get my butt up there and check these guys out. It has been crazy here and we were up in Phoenix for the 4 days....Saturday was gorgeous!!!! Your shots inspire and a big THANK YOU for the correction on the Lazuli. So I did see this bird afterall. It makes me wonder what else I have in my folders:) I'm a quick study though:) Hope you have a good start to your week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Chris. That Owl may indeed be tired of the paparazzi, but they'll get a couple weeks off as I wife and I are leaving town soon.

    I has been very busy lately, with school drawing to a close and evaluations being due.

    You got some really nice shots of that Lazuli Bunting, much better than anything I've got. I'm glad to got to see and appreciate them, they're such stunning birds. In this last year alone I've added 2 more birds to my life list just from reviewing old photos that I had earlier considered insignificant or unimportant. It's part of improving as a birder, and in a certain way, there's something very satisfying about an "arm-chair lifer", as the birders say (or maybe they don't...I feel like I've heard it somewhere).

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are sooooo lucky - one day I hope to view and get one of these 'lifers'
    Wonderful images!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cynthia. If you ever find yourself down in Phoenix, stop on by Burrower's Row!

      Delete
  11. The definition in your photographs is truly fantastic. You have really captured a personality and character in your images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Isobel! I must admit, Burrowing Owls make it relatively easy on a fella, but it was still a great experience, and it's wonderful to be able to share.

      Delete